Friday, January 20, 2017

Thank you, President Obama! May the Lord Help President Trump.

In 2009 I started my blog tradition of thanking the outdoing president. Unfortunately, I didn't wish God's help for the incoming president (Obama). I'm remedying that now.

I noted at the time that there were clear failures in George W. Bush's presidency, but this was not a time to dwell on them. So, here goes for President Obama.

Thank you, President Obama, for an economy that is markedly better than when you took over. My investments are worth significantly more and I am economically much better off than on the day you were inaugurated.

Maybe due to lack of insight, I'm sorry I can't think of anything else that's significantly better, except the death rate of U.S. soldiers has decreased as well.

Thank you for being a good father and husband and setting a terrific example of that for the nation. And for publicly showing the struggle of quitting smoking and working at that.

Most importantly, thank you for serving your nation for eight years in the toughest job it has to offer.

For incoming President Trump, I pray that the Lord will lead you and that you will turn the nation to good values and good policies and, most important, a true humility before God and asking for His guidance and help. 

Here are links to good counsel about how Christians should pray for presidents whether they are good or bad: Russell Moore and John Piper.

3 comments:

OregonGuy said...

I don't know if you watched the Inaugural Prayer Service this morning

http://www.conservativedailynews.com/2017/01/watch-presidential-inaugural-prayer-service-january-21-2017-10am-et/

but I was taken by Mrs. Trump when she, too, found herself fighting back tears while listening to Marlana VanHoose sing, "How Great Thou Art."

I saw/discovered, a dear heart.
.

MAX Redline said...

Good link, OG!

T. D. said...

OG, I didn't see it or the inauguration. I never was one to enjoy ceremonial events. A personal flaw. Skipped all three of my post-high school graduations. I don't like epic spectacle movies like The Ten Commandments either.

Under Bush I often didn't watch such events, and under Obama I stopped watching major political ceremonial events--even SOTU. If they get enough good or bad press I sometimes read parts of transcripts of the speeches if content is important.

My heart is generally soft toward members of the First Family as they endure horrible things being in that spotlight. I pray the best for Melania and am heartened to hear that "How Great Thou Art" was special to her. May the Lord give her much grace.