Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Small Kerfuffle with Burned Out CFL Bulb

Small kerfuffle today. My dad had a burned out Compact Fluorescent Light bulb. He asked, "Can I just throw this in the garbage?" Heh.

NO!!! These light bulbs cannot just be put in the garbage can. If they break, it's a mini hazmat disaster.

I went online and found a recycling event happening about eight miles away near the end of the month. So, he can take the light bulb and dispose of it "safely" there.

When his small stock of CFL's expire (they're dying a lot faster than the advertised 5 year life span), he will be back to the safe and easy, throw it in the garbage style of light bulb. Whew!

For now, we're stockpiling the old incandescents while they're still legal to buy, but hoping new legislation will lift the ban.

2 comments:

OregonGuy said...

I have a twenty year supply.

That may seem like a lot, but it is only 240 bulbs. The only thing is, manufacturing productivity improvements could reduce the cost of light bulbs in the future.
.

T. D. said...

I've missed your posts lately. I was hoping you were okay. So, besides the thought in your comment, I'm glad to know you're up and running.

Yes, let's hope that there is a real increase in improvement in light bulbs. I've seen some of the new longer life incandescents at the store.

Of course, now they're all being made outside the U.S.

What I don't like is the mercury in CFLs and LEDs. I'd rather have a light bulb I don't have to worry about breaking or mishandling even if it doesn't last as long or costs more than these "energy saving" alternatives.